evolution of tears

For years I shunned tears.
Sipping water, breathing deeply.
Ignoring, avoiding, denying things.
When I did cry, it definitely was never in public.

I have softened a little in the last few years.
Occasionally I cry during a sermon.
Tears regularly track my face as I worship.
I don't hide the tears when I watch Hallmark. 


I never imagined 

that I would learn to embrace tears
that I would be comfortable crying in public 
that tears would become a part* of every day.

Tears are not, as I once believed them to be, 
a sign of weakness or lack of faith.
Tears are healing.
Tears  are cleansing.
Tears are temporary.

*part-small portions, moments, not the whole

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 
who comforts us in all our troubles, 
so that we can comfort those in any trouble 
with the comfort we ourselves receive from God."
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Comments

Popular Posts