Tonight, I want to be held

In my spirit
I know God loves me.
I know He sees me.
I know He cares.
I know He holds me.
I know He is with me.
I know He provides everything I need.
Every.
Single.
Thing.
Every.
Single. 
Time.
I know He is never late.


In my flesh
the last three days have been long.
Emotionally draining.
And tonight, tonight I am tired.
My emotions are battered,
my mind is worn.
On this cold, wet evening
what I want
is to simply 
curl up on a couch
with a fire in the wood burning stove
and be held
(nothing sexual)
by someone with flesh and blood.

Would I want Bill to come back?
Now that he has gone, NO! A thousand times, NO!
He is in the presence of our great God,
without distraction or hindrance.
Years ago I read a small book
that had a huge impact on my life.
"The Practice of the Presence of God"
written by Brother Lawrence.
He chose to practice being aware of God's presence.
I have found that we get good at what we practice.
I have been thinking about the presence I lost.
There is nothing wrong with that.
But I must not get into the habit 
of practicing those thoughts.

As I choose to 
Practice the Presence of God
I find comfort
I find rest
I find assurance
I find that I am challenged.
I must choose to trust
that God will continue to provide
what I need, when I need it.
It may not come the way I expect it.
It may not come when I think I need it.
But He is faithful.
He will provide.
He has NEVER failed.


My mind is drawn to Jesus' admonition to Peter:

Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Mark 14:38

I must watch.
I must pray.
I am weak.
Without God's Spirit at work in me
I will fall into temptations,
too many to list,
I will believe Satan's lies.
The truth is that God is enough.
He is more than enough.
And I find that as I have sat and cried and wrote,
He has filled my desire to be held.
I am tempted to "pretty" this post up.
But it was definitely a process to get here-
so, I will leave it as I wrote it.

Is being held by God
the same as being held by flesh and blood?
No, but it is infinitely more lasting.
I find that is satisfying from the inside out.
And no gossip can be started by being held by Him.

Comments

  1. I find that this my biggest stumbling block just to hold them one more time :( thank you for sharing...... Love u

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your sweet heart, Donnette. But in the middle ot it all, you are so brightly reflecting the grace of God. Praying for you daily! Hugs. Karen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to share

Popular Posts