going through the motions

going through the motions 
would be a good description 
of me at Christmas 
for several years before Bill died,
last year for sure,
and it is what I was prepared for this year 

I don't remember when or why it changed
because I know there was a time when I was excited about
the shopping
the cooking
the baking and delivering cookies
the card choosing and sending
the decorating
the caroling
the traveling
the surprising
the stockings
the wrapping 
okay, maybe not ever the wrapping part

but somewhere along the way 
it all went from being a labor of love
to just plain wearying labor to be completely honest, 
and for the last eight years or more
I checked out emotionally 
and in some ways physically

cards were sent out because they were important to Bill,
and he took care of making sure they were signed, stamped and mailed

the tree was purchased because Bill went to a lot and picked one out
when we went to an artificial tree it was a relief

we were to the point that Bill put on not only the lights,
but most of the ornaments on the tree as well

I don't remember the last time I baked Christmas cookies,
let alone the last time I wanted to bake them

so imagine my surprise this season
when I was anxious to pull the tree out before Thanksgiving
no ornaments at all this year, but lots of beautiful white lights
when I  wanted to  purchase, address and mail cards 
when I find myself thinking about making cut out sugar cookies
and thumbprints and my Grandma's cookies

I don't understand the shift
but I am not going to fight it 
I am going to embrace each day as it comes,
enjoy my daily Advent readings,
cry when I need to, laugh when I can
and be thankful for the time I get to spend with the ones I love

to those of you who are hurting so deeply that getting out of bed, showering, getting dressed and eating is a full days work
to those of you who are fighting to survive
to those of you who want to do more but cannot
be kind to yourself
do what you can and don't worry about what you cannot do
and rest, knowing that God sees, He cares, He understands
"a bruised reed He will not break,
    and a faintly burning wick He will not quench;..."
from Isaiah 42:3

Comments

Popular Posts