the extraordinary present

the extraordinary present
isn't that what most of us are seeking at Christmas?
we hope openly to give them to the ones we love
and perhaps, secretly, 
to receive one

I receive an extraordinary gift every day
that I choose joy and peace while grieving 
when I recall the past 
while not missing what is in front of me
when I make room for new memories 
while not denying or ignoring past ones
when I keep putting one foot in front of the other, 
seeking balance
practicing in the moments of mourning to be fully there
and learning to completely experience the wonder of "ordinary"

visiting the past, but not camping out there
looking to the future, but not waiting for it to get here
seizing opportunities 
to work
to rest
to serve
to grow 
to share
to simply be

I want my
eyes 
ears 
mind 
heart 
to always be open
to love
to laughter
to living

today,
the gift of life in Christ 
allows me to live an extraordinary present

Comments

Popular Posts