wonder full surprises (not a typo)

somebody said
"I love you"
by leaving these on my dresser
as I was walking on the beach this morning
looking for shells
(because that's part of what I do)
it occurred to me
all of what I am searching for is dead

the ocean, 
loud and strong on my right,
is full of life
I thought if I am not careful I could miss seeing life, (dolphins in particular),
looking for beauty in the shells of life

does that mean that when tomorrow comes 
I will not be looking for more shells
since they are simply what is left after life moves out
on the contrary you can be sure of one thing
as long as the weather allows I will be out there searching

part of the allure of the beach is the way God has created it
to be changing all day, every day
that was another thought as I walked
no matter how many times I walk the beach
there is always something new and beautiful to see

this afternoon as I searched,
slowly making my way toward the opposite end of the beach
bending, looking closely, picking shells up, 
another thought crossed my mind
not one of the shells in my pocket got there by itself

finding beauty takes time
it takes work
it is a choice
scallops, my traditional favorites 
unicorn horns,
leopards
and pearly shells
whole "butterfly" shells 


when I bent over to pick up the shell below
I was surprised to find it is not a scallop
this shell is like a flat fan
a brand new, different kind of beauty to marvel at
it is a reminder 
about expectations and keeping my eyes open 
so I do not miss surprises that fill me with wonder


Comments

  1. Last year I picked up a lot of broken shells. I wanted to put them in a jar on my stand to remind us that we are all broken, but God picks us up and dusts us off and mends us..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is beautiful! I have thought about that...I think I am going to steal your idea :) Love you

      Delete

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to share

Popular Posts