He is God, I am not

whirlwind-
if I had to choose one word to describe the state of my heart and mind today,
it would be whirlwind
there are a billion thoughts swirling but not many words
and that is often when God speaks loudest
tonight he whispered
"Be still and know that I am God..."

in this photo,
the storm,
the clouds,
the whirlwind,
would be hard to miss...
but do you see what else is there?
do you see the rainbow?
as I sit,
alone in the quiet of late night/early morning 
being still
slowly letting go of trying to make sense of and control all that is swirling 
the rainbow is a reminder that God keeps His promises, always
I am reminded that the safest place to be is right in the eye of the storm,
I am reminded of something I heard recently for the first time:


"be still and know" comes from Psalm 46

1-3 "God is our refuge and strength,
    a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
    though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam,
    though the mountains tremble at its swelling."Selah* (*translates rest)

is it true?
if the earth gives way, mountains move and the sea roars and foams
does he really expect us to rest?
yes, yes he does-
because "He is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."

4-7"There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
    God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
    Hutters His voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah*"

in the midst of that kind of turmoil,
when there is raging and toppling going on,
when our world is spinning out of control
and nothing is safe or the same,
how can He expect us to rest?

8-11"Come, behold the works of the Lord,
    how He has brought desolations on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
    Hbreaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    He burns the chariots with fire."

Be still, and know that I am God.
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth!'
The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress." Selah*"

Be still,
let go, 
*rest
and know that He is God
He has a plan
He is with us
He is our refuge and our fortress, 
our safe place to shelter in the midst of all that is dangerous
I choose to be still, to let go, and to know that He is God, I am not

Comments

  1. "Be still and know that I am God." I got a Christmas card last year with this verse on it. It spoke to me. So much so that I have had the card on my refrigerator all year. This verse has been everywhere this year. It has been a comfort to me. Also the song that you listed was one that we sang in church on Sunday. It is so comforting to know that no matter what the storm may be in our lives, He is always with us. It was so nice to meet you at Homecoming last week!! Thank you again for sharing your journey. God bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to share

Popular Posts