shadow of death


"yea, though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death..."
when I heard those words today they "stuck"
maybe it has something to do with walking freshly through that valley

yesterday I was part of the funeral for one of my KCU sons
he was only 25 years old
a young man full of dreams and plans to make a difference

as we prepared to leave the church and cemetery
Beth's friend was preparing for a service for her grandson
he was only four months old
too young to have made plans 
but not too young to have had an impact on many lives
his services were held in a place just minutes off the interstate 
we were able to stop and give her a hug and pray with her 

this afternoon I attended the funeral of a man 89 years old
he was a widower, a father, a papaw, a great papaw and a great, great papaw
a man full of years to chase dreams and make a difference

"though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death"
grief is part of life
grief is universal 
  • grief is personal-though I
  • grief is not a race-though I walk
  • we aren't meant to make grief our home- though I walk through
  • grief is not without obstacles-though I walk through the valley -a valley cannot be formed without something towering on either side, loose rubble and other hazards are part of the valley, but beauty can be found there too
  • sometimes in grief things are not be what they appear to be- though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death-shadows are distortions, sometimes they make things appear larger, other times things appear smaller than what they truly are and there is always light if we know where to look, after all, shadows cannot exist where there is no light
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him was not any thing made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:1-4
"...Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

it is the Light, alive in me, 
that enables me to walk through "everyday" life, 
to walk through the shadowed valleys,
with joy, hope, courage and purpose
and to face death without fear

Comments

  1. Wow! Thanks so much for this Donnette! Struggling here with the fact that three weeks have gone by since my Mom entered Heaven!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to share

Popular Posts