if I had been in charge...

 

I pulled into my driveway after my meeting Wednesday morning to find this assortment of boxes on my porch. I am pretty confident it was a UPS delivery because they were all safely stacked on the bench, out of danger from the rain. I've seen where the other delivery guy leaves packages and this would have been out of character. It's too many and they are too large to have been delivered by my kind, thoughtful and responsible mailman.

I picked each one up and carried it into the house with this thought: "This is ridiculous. If I had been in charge of shipping this order I would have used two of their extra large white delivery sacks, not four boxes." I have received items in those envelopes that should have been shipped in boxes. Eight pillows would have been the perfect products for the plastic sacks. And if they'd squashed them like I have had some things squashed, they may have all fit in one! Think of the shipping costs they would have saved on this "free shipping" order!

About an hour after my internal scolding to the packer(s) I was stopped short in my thought process because the truth is, I don't know what I would have done if I had been in charge. 

I've never been responsible for shipping items like that. I don't know what Kohl's warehouse guidelines are. I don't know if the packer has had a bad experience with overfilling a box before or had one of those plastic sacks rip and an order been ruined. Perhaps supplies are low. Maybe this was the most economical way to ship. I don't even know if all the pillows came from the same space.

I am convicted by a shipment of pillows. Especially after I opened the boxes and saw how they were packed. I guess the people who do this for a living know what they are doing better than I do, at least in this case. How many other times in my life have I thought, mistakenly, that I had superior methods about things I was totally ignorant about? It's a humbling question my prideful mind needed to be asked today. 



Comments

Popular Posts