when a few hours at the campground leads to an open house

a simple invite:
"we are going to be at Grayson Lake campground this weekend
you are welcome to join us anytime..."
led to 
stretching my comfort level and accepting the offer Sunday evening
enjoying two brats (brauts) cooked on the blackstone
laughing hysterically at the antics of someone elses kids and grandkids
acquaintances becoming friends 
friends becoming more like family
making connections of who belongs to who
campfire sitting
night sky watching
learning which "stars" are actually Jupiter and Saturn
seeing the Milky Way
recognizing a satellite 
witnessing two meteors 
a content and thankful heart 
and a challenge
all because someone was willing to include me in their "ordinary"

If you think "it" has to be fancy or structured to be worthwhile 
I am here to highly suggest you think again. 
Genuinely offering to allow someone to join you in your normal activities
is more than enough to have a positive impact.
In their life.
In your relationship.
Make the invite.
(I'm preaching to myself,
but someone else may need to hear this message too.)

Need ideas?
Invite them to join you-
at the campground
the playground
the trail
the gym
the park
the coffee shop
the corner diner
in your home
your backyard
running errands
the hardest part will probably be making the ask.

Just do it.

Time invested in relationships, doing ordinary things together, is time well spent. It's a lesson I know well. One I have practiced liberally-in the past. Life changes stunted my practice. Affected my ability to see clearly. I am healing. I am growing. I am changing. God has been kindly, patiently awakening me to truths and I am at a point where I am no longer content to sit and watch, waiting to be included. Instead I will sit and watch, looking for others to include. It's been a minute, and it is a little frightening, but I think I'm ready to open my home again for regular, everyday ministry. It has a history of filling my life with gifts of sweet memories and deep friendships. 
I want more of them in my life.

Comments

Popular Posts