Salekhard 303 /Aksarka 101

Last night was a first on this visit with Deborah and David. Somehow we found ourselves, just the three of us at the kitchen table. Abigail and Selah were asleep, Andrew and Bre had gone to their room and there we sat. We talked. I cried. We talked some more and the cycle continued until after 1 AM. In the course of our conversation David asked if I would consider going to Aksarka with him this afternoon to share with the believers there. Andrew was asked to share a message with the Salekhard church our first Sunday. The second Sunday Bre was asked to share her gift of music at the church picnic and again at church this morning. I prayed last night. I prayed this morning-before church, during church and after church as we sat and had chai and sandwiches with the body.

When we left church I looked down and saw this:


Each time I find a penny I think of my friend Tammy because pennies hold a special meaning for her. This is not a penny, it is a Russian coin, but it is close enough. Each time I find a penny I am reminded that God is on control. That He has “this”-whatever “this” is.

We stopped by the grocery store to pick up some kind of wrap thing as lunch for those going to Aksarka because David was supposed to be there at three. It is a one hour drive, it was already 2:30, we were not home and the wraps are the closest thing to fast food here as far as I can tell. Final count was four. David, me, Andrew and Bre. 

I prayed as we drove home. I prayed as we drove to Aksarka. We were meeting at Suvi’s apartment-she works with Wycliff. There were nine adults and four children gathered. Two boys, two girls, Suvi, four local women and our group from Salekhard. Suvi and  Bre took turns playing the guitar and leading worship through music. I shared an abbreviated version of my faith story tied into some teaching from Ephesians. Andrew shared what Pentecost is. David did some teaching on the Trinity. We prayed. They have chai after service in Aksarka too. Andrew, Bre, David and I waited in the living area.

Suvi and the native women eagerly went to the kitchen to set out chai Aksarka style. Suvi made chai. Someone sliced bread. The women set out what they had brought to share. Fish. Raw fish, chunked and covered with sliced onions. Smoked fish, slivered. Caviar-fish eggs. We prayed. I don’t know what David was praying, he was speaking in Russian, but I was praying for a way to gracefully decline the delicacies set before me. I had chai and a slice of bread. Andrew had chai and accepted the caviar that was thrust in his direction. (He has, in the past, swallowed live gold fish on two separate occasions as training.) Bre chose the same thing I did. Suvi set out a tin of cookies. I don’t know if I have ever been so thankful to see cookies. Then they brought out the final treat-a huge hunk of reindeer fat. They sliced it. Looking at the cultural options before me, and not wanting to totally offend our hosts I decided eating reindeer fat was the best option. I got the smallest chunk I could pick up and offered it to Bre. Rats, she took it. I leaned over and picked up the next smallest piece. Thankfully I had some of my bread and chai left. I am happy to report that Bre and I successfully ate our portion. We declined seconds. We each ate a few cookies. As we left, the remaining large chunk of reindeer fat was re wrapped in plastic wrap and presented to Andrew as a gift. What a wonderful group of loving, giving people. They asked if we could all come back, including Deborah, Abigail and Selah and spend the day with them. If it works out, Bre and I have already called dibs on packing PB&J.



Comments

  1. love hearing of your time and the blessings you're giving as well as receiving...keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for coming and sharing! Glad the cookies made your day ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to share

Popular Posts