ebb and flow

I have known,
for years,                  
that life is a cycle 

doing and being
ebb and flow
push and pull
give and take
work and rest

But for far too long I have been more likely to
flow
push
give
work

Even as I have learned to be comfortable "being"
I know am guilty of "doing" too much
pushing myself too hard, 
trying to be strong, 
working to be what people think I am,
striving to be who I want to be.
Thinking I should be able to do more, always more.

I want to live in balance,
to listen to, rather than ignore,
what my body, mind and spirit are whispering-
knowing in a real way 
that extended periods of one or the other 
are not uncommon,
but neither extreme is meant to be life long.

I have recently been in a whirlwind of "doing"
pushing
giving
working
and I have enjoyed (almost) every minute.

Now I need to take some time to simply "be"
ebb
pull
take
rest

So, if you need me-
check my back porch, 
it is likely that is where you will find me.

doing:
action; performance; execution:
being:
the fact of existing; existence

ebb:
the flowing back of the tide as the water returns to the sea
flow:
to move along in a stream

push:
to press upon or against (a thing) with force in order to move it away.
pull:
to draw or haul toward oneself

give:
to present voluntarily and without expecting compensation
take:
to get into one's hold or possession by voluntary action

work:
exertion or effort directed to produce or accomplish something; labor;toil.
rest:
to relieve weariness by cessation of exertion or labor.

Comments

Popular Posts