mind games


I have a confession-
I am at "that age".
The age where my mind wanders 
and it is harder to keep track of thoughts than it used to be.
I started playing games to keep it active, to try and train it.

Sudoku
(I use a pencil, sometimes I have to erase)

Word Streak
(I liked it better when it was Words with Friends-
and sometimes I randomly find myself thinking of word combinations, seeing letter groups in my head, even when I am not actually playing. I may need an intervention.)

Lumosity- 
(but only the free version so I am limited to the 3  games offered each day. My least favorite is Eagle Eye.)

My goal is to be mentally fit.
I enjoy the challenges each game presents.
I look forward to the safe competition they offer.

Sometimes my mind decides to play it's own games. 
"what if..."
"if only..."
"I should have..."
I am not a fan of those games.

For example:
Sarah has been experiencing problems that point to her gall bladder.
She had a hide-a-scan early yesterday morning.
Yesterday was Wednesday.
The doctor is closed Wednesday afternoons.
We have been waiting to hear from the doctor.
She called this afternoon.
The results are on his desk, he hasn't had time to read them yet.
We should know something by morning.

When she got home from the test yesterday 
my mind started playing a game,
a game involving running, racing down a path I do not want to travel.

Bill's symptoms pointed to kidney stones.
His test was early Wednesday morning.
Just like Sarah's.
The doctor was closed Wednesday afternoon then too.
You called the Dr.'s office Thursday.
Just like Sarah.
The results were on his desk.
Just like Sarah's.
You were waiting to hear results from a test Friday AM.

The enemy is not stupid.
He does not compete fairly.
He knows what moves to make 
to try and throw me off balance.
He shoots fiery darts that burn as they penetrate.


This is not only a mind game.
It is life.
My strategy to win?

 "In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, 
with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one"
Ephesians 6:16

Faith leads to obedience:

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." 
Philippians 4:4-8
How do I find the strength to obey?
To rejoice
to not be anxious
to pray
to offer thanksgiving
to think about 
whatever is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable
to think about what is excellent and praiseworthy?
It certainly is not my own.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 
Put on the whole armor of God, 
that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, 
but against the rulers, against the authorities, 
against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, 
against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 
Therefore take up the whole armor of God, 
that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, 
and having done all, to stand firm. 
Stand therefore, 
having fastened on the belt of truth, 
and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 
 and,as shoes for your feet, 
having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 
In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, 
with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 
and take the helmet of salvation, 
and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 
praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. 
To that end keep alert with all perseverance..."
Ephesians 6:10-18



Comments

Popular Posts