From Mourning to Morning


the sunrise our last morning

"...Weeping may tarry for the night,

    but joy comes with the morning."
from Psalm 30:5


I was in bed before midnight last night
trying to break the cycle 
of staying up until the wee hours of the morning

I rolled over,
caught a faint whiff that reminded me of Bill
and it caused the dam to break
resulting in waves of mourning-
my heart pounding between my temples
hearing it beating in my ears
feeling like a jack hammer was working in my chest

as tears began in earnest
I turned my face into my pillow,
to keep from waking the babies,
and I realized the howling that reminded me of Sam when sirens hurt his ears
was sounds coming from deep inside me

two hours passed
and in that time
the "good" Kleenex began to feel like sand paper
it feels like there is grit in my eyelids
there is only one dry spot left on the single pillow I am able to sleep with
I don't want to think about what is in my hair 
and my mind has been in overdrive

even though my mind and emotions and body 
have to endure these sometimes raging storms that accompany grief
my soul has unexplainable peace, rest and hope 

"But this I call to mind,
and therefore I have hope:
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
His mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is Your faithfulness.
'The Lord is my portion,' says my soul,
therefore I will hope in Him.”
Lamentations 3:21-24

Comments

Popular Posts