when things are not what they seem to be

I came around a curve while I was driving 70ish mph on 77N 
Tuesday afternoon on my way to Akron, tapped my brakes,
and did a double take.

I saw the semi in the right lane
and knew I would soon pass it
until I saw what was directly ahead of me
for a split second my heart raced
  and my palms got sweaty
 
I was preparing to change lanes
and praying about what was in front of me
this truck was coming straight at me
but I was puzzled-
it wasn't getting any closer
then I realized it was being towed
as I took this picture 
all that ran through my mind was
"Things are not always what they seem to be."

the "grouchy" person I deal with may be simply be grouchy and difficult, hateful even...or they may be dealing with pain that would keep me in bed, burrowed under the covers

the "impatient" person that pushed ahead of me may have an inflated opinion of the value of their time over mine...or they may be running late through no fault of their own and feel they have no option but to rudely rush ahead

that "smiling" person who passed me and greeted me pleasantly might be having a really great day...or they may be wrestling with insurmountable issues that would bow my back if they were my load to carry

that "generous" person who is always sharing something may be giving out of an abundance ...or they may give in spite of their need because they know what it is like to do without

there are countless other scenarios
we all face them
the semi being towed reminded me of an important lesson:
be careful about making snap decisions and judgments
because things are not always what they seem to be

Comments

  1. I can so relate to this post. I work as a cashier in a Walmart Pharmacy. I have been there for 8 1/2 years so I know many of my customers personally and they were aware that my husband was sick. I was off work for about 6 weeks during his hospitalization and after his death. I only returned to work early because they were short handed and I offered to help. The other day I was talking to one of my close customers, telling them that this Friday would be my last day, as I am quitting and planning to work in the garden with my dad this summer (my therapy). They asked me how my husband was doing and I told them he had passed away. Of course they were shocked and offered their condolences. They went on to say that I was such a strong person, seemed to be handling his loss well. I told them it was a struggle but I do what I have to do. They wished me well and said they would continue to keep me in their prayers. As I go to work everyday and do my job, I try to great each customer with a smile, answer their questions and meet their needs as best I can. I hope that they see a kind person standing before them. Most of the time, behind that smile, is the struggle with anxiety and panic. When someone asks how my husband, I try to comfort them and reassure them when I tell them that he passed away in March and they struggle with the awkwardness of the moment. Many of my customers have and continue to keep me in their prayers. These are people that I know, only from them coming to Walmart to get a prescription. I know little else about their lives other than the little bit we share each time they come in. The majority of people know nothing more than I am the person greeting them with a smile and trying to meets their needs as quickly and efficiently as possible. Each person gets a smile and a "Have a good day" with each visit. Each person, as you have pointed out in you blog, is struggling with something that affects their attitude and the way they react. My pain and anxiety is hidden daily behind a smile!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to share

Popular Posts