this single life


Tonight as I sat down to write 
I had an "ah-hah!" or a "duh" moment, 
I haven't yet decided which. 

When I became a widow, a wrestling match began in a corner of my mind.
Sometimes it moves from the corner to center stage. 
"How am I going to live this single life?"

Single.
No strings attached.
No commitments or responsibilities to another.

But I have been wrestling with something 
that does not and probably never will exist in my life: 
Even without Bill I am not "single".

I am not married.
I am not dating.
But I definitely am not single.

I have family.
I have friends.
I have friends who have become family.

I realize, I have it figured out.
I simply need to continue to live in community
and love the people God has placed and continues to place in my life.

"Love one another with brotherly affection. 
Outdo one another in showing honor."
Romans 12:10 

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: 
just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 
By this all people will know that you are My disciples, 
if you have love for one another.”
John 13:34-35

In reality,
we all live a single life here on this earth, do we not?
The challenge is to live it well.

Comments

Popular Posts