oh be careful little mouth...

Here are a few of the stupid things said to me in the last few months.


"I don't know what to say." 
This is a "frequent flyer" and I only consider it stupid when the speaker continues with a full one sided conversation. Usually their evaluation of their ability is accurate.
My advice: 
if you think you don't know what to say, you are probably right. 
So be silent.

"Which one are you?"
Yep. That really happened. I could not make that up.
I was standing at calling hours with Bill's mom and siblings on one side and our children on the other side when I was asked this.
My advice: 
If you don't know who is standing by the casket, ask the funeral director before you go up to greet those standing there.

"I didn't think I had time to be cordial."
I am still trying to figure out how being rude to me (or anyone else) takes less time than being polite. 
My advice:
Be kind to everyone, you don't know what is going on in their life. 

The list could go on.
You could add to this list of stupid things.
I have said stupid things.
You may have said stupid things too.
My advice:
Pray for God to set a guard over your mouth. 
Memorize, then follow the teaching of Ephesians 4:29. 
(These two things have greatly reduced my need for surgery to have my foot removed from my mouth.)

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
Ephesians 4:29

and remember :
"Even foolare thought wise if they keep silent, 
and discerning if they hold their tongues."
Proverbs 17:28

Comments

Popular Posts