finding beauty in the midst of deep pain

sometimes,
in the midst of deep pain
it is hard to believe that there will ever be beauty in life again

sometimes,
in the midst of deep pain,
it is easier to recognize what has value and beauty in life

sometimes,
in the midst of deep pain
 I want to be numb and not to think about beauty or anything else

Today held moments of all three of these "extremes",
but as I drove home from this afternoon's practice,
 I realized that my heart always hungers for beauty,
it seeks beauty throughout every day, 
even when I am not conscious of doing so.

Tonight I will focus, 
not the beasts that stalked me,
but on the beauty of life I enjoyed today.

sunshine
comfortable temperatures
gentle breezes
coffee
family
giggles
sharing cinnamon red hots 
fluffy white clouds 
a blue sky
green grass
prayer
lost things, found
being included
little footsteps
concern expressed
flowers blooming
satisfaction of completing a task
cold water
joy of serving
humbleness of being served
hugs
smiles
kind words
gentleness in action
cards of encouragement
hearing "I love you"
seeing "I love you"
giving
receiving
a warm shower
broken things repaired
dirty things cleaned
order restored 
crunching ice
healthy relationships
my dog's gentle nudge to be petted
children laughing
candlelight
back porch sitting

this is a beautiful life I live

Comments

Popular Posts