moving & treasures









I have friends and family who have recently moved or are preparing to move soon. These are some observations:






I don't know if I ever want to move.

"One man's junk is another man's treasure". 

There is a mix of emotions, 
often amplified by circumstances surrounding the move. 

It is always an arduous process:

sorting
packing
purging
cleaning
loading
unloading
cleaning
unpacking
more purging

Some things that are chipped or marred get tossed in the first purge. Some things that are treated with the greatest care and find a place of honor in the new home are chipped or marred.

What makes the difference in whether things are kept or pitched? 

Memories.

Memories can make "junk" irreplaceable and on the flip side, can make things expendable by the owner that others find valuable.

When memories are shared a powerful thing may happen. The value of the item can change. It sometimes receives value in the listeners mind, and often increases in value in the owner's sight.

As I slowly make my way through files, boxes, closets, drawers...

I find I have no problem shredding, burning, trashing, selling or giving away some things. I have also found treasures long buried and all but forgotten. Things I will continue to hold onto because of memories.

I am trying to make sure I share those memories with the kids and grand kids, knowing some stuff will only be important to me. 

My goal is to allow them to form their own values 
and at the same time to measure mine. 

I want to be wise about what I treasure, what I hold onto 
and what I pass on to my family because in truth, we are all moving. 

What we value determines which way we are moving.

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth,
 where moth and rust destroy 
and where thieves break in and steal, 
but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, 
where neither moth nor rust destroys 
and where thieves do not break in and steal. 
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:19-21

Comments

Popular Posts