runaway thoughts (held captive)

"Take every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ..."

This is one of the things I daily pray about for myself.
Our thoughts have a direct impact our actions.
This week I have been pondering the word captive. 

"Take every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ..."

Captive: 
noun:
1 a prisoner 2 ...enslaved or dominated
adjective:
kept in confinement or restraint

If I don't take my thoughts captive, they will take me captive. 

Fear will run wild.
Doubts will mushroom.
Negativity will breed like mice.
Anxiety will multiply like rabbits.
Mistrust or skepticism will color every action I see.

Lately it takes a lot more energy to do this. 
Taking thoughts captive doesn't mean they will easily submit.
I must be on guard or my thoughts will try to run away with me. 
That is one of the reasons I am weary. 
I am working hard, even when I am not "doing" anything. 

I have to 
Stop.
Think.
Search.
Choose.
Concentrate.
Measure.
Discern.
Decide.
Reject.
Accept.

Philippians 4:8 is the standard for what my mind is free to dwell on:

"Finally, brothers, 
whatever is true, 
whatever is honorable, 
whatever is just, 
whatever is pure, 
whatever is lovely, 
whatever is commendable, 
if there is any excellence, 
if there is anything worthy of praise, 
think about these things."


Comments

Popular Posts