For Bill

I ran away from home for the weekend.
I don't know if it technically counts since my birthed kids knew.
And I am with my Men's Soccer family.
I simply did not want to be home this weekend.
Just couldn't do it.

Pre-game I was sitting in my chair.
The boys were off the pitch in a pregame meeting.
One of them came walking toward me. 
I thought he needed Tylenol or Ibuprofen or a Bandaid.
He wanted me, actually the team wanted me, to join them.

I must admit, I was a little nervous and as we walked I held his hand.
When we joined everyone else "the talk" began.
The boys circled up around me.

"Mom, come here, in the center. We just want you to know that we love you...we are thankful for everything you do for us and the way you are there for us. We know this weekend might be hard for you. We want you to know we are here for you as family...we want to be there for you. And we are dedicating this weekend to playing for Bill. We have arm bands we will be wearing...we think he would be happy to see this family around you..."

They played clean.
They played smart.
They played with intensity.
They played with excellence.
I gladly claim each one.
Bill would be happy with this extended family addition.
They won 3-1.


I won when I became KCU's soccer mom.

 
Tonight this team


Played under this sky

Comments

Popular Posts