do all lives matter? 197/366

I don't know who is responsible for this sign.
I do know it wasn't on the corner of Carole Malone and Main St. Tuesday at 4pm.
It was there at 9am Wednesday.
It was not there Wednesday afternoon.

My educated guess, since I saw him working that area, is that the young man who keeps our park and devil strips clean removed it like he has yard sale signs that were left up overnight. Grayson is working hard to keep our streets free of debris.

When I hear "All Lives Matter" questions come to mind:

does "matter" mean 
all lives
hold the same value?
should be shown the same respect?
are worthy of being defended and protected?

yes
yes
and 
yes again
are the answers most of us would give

but 
I am being challenged by my own value system
one I've learned along the way
by social conditioning
by past experiences

I say yes, all lives hold the same value
yes, all lives should be shown respect
yes, all lives are worthy of being defended
yes, all lives should be protected
yes, all lives should be honored

and yet,
what are my thoughts 
what are my attitudes
what are my actions
toward those who are different from me?

Abortionists
Lesbian
Homosexual
Transgender
Drag Queens
Jew
Catholic
Presbyterian
Methodist
Nazarene
Baptist
Charismatic
Amish
Mennonite
Rich
Poor
Addicts
Prostitutes
Male
Female
Leaders
Followers
Muslim
Hindu
Buddhist
Islamics
Wizards
Witches
Atheists
Acadamiens
Socially Awkward
Introverts
Extroverts
Thieves
Liars
Murderers
Convicts
Mean people
Democrats
Republicans
Politicians
Lawyers
IRS Agents
mask wearers
those who refuse to wear masks
and this list is not exhaustive

I find it's easy to SAY all lives matter
but I wonder-does my life ring true and support that mantra,
or does it reveal 
"all lives matter, 
just not as much as mine, and those who are like me, does"

Comments

Popular Posts