necessity is the mother of invention 213/366

have you read the children's book "If You Give  a Mouse a Cookie"
or "If You Take a Mouse to the Movies"
or "If you give a Pig a Pancake" 
"...a Moose a Muffin"
"...a Cat a Cupcake" etc.
there's a whole slew of them
the author is Laura Numeroff

my kids and grandkids like(d) them
if you haven't read any of them,
I'm sorry you've missed out, 
but it isn't too late to remedy that situation !
basically they are stories about how things snowball

I kind of feel like my latest home maintenance project is a take off of that series
I needed to paint all of my doors and trim around them 
I already had the paint,
so easy peasy, inexpensive job...
until I noticed that the door handles were worn,
and upon closer inspection they didn't all match
so I bought new ones
I ordered brushed nickel for a change
when I got them I realized the door hinges were "gold"
so I ordered new hinges
I took the interior doors down to paint them since I had to install new hinges 
I used an enamel topped table to hold my downstairs doors,
and since I could only do one side at a time it took a few days to do five doors
I have seven doors upstairs 
I didn't want to carry the doors down or the table up
Jonathan gave me the brilliant idea of sawhorses
so I ordered two sawhorses 
they made painting much easier
this week I tackled upstairs
doors, door casings and closet trim
yesterday I painted the final side of the last three doors and installed all the new hinges

I hung two doors
it was as struggle
last night I contemplated calling a friend to come help me with the last five 
this morning I decided to try one more
I may be a wee bit independent

my problem:
how to hold the door up high enough to match where the hinge needed to go

so it was like this
and still have a hand free to hold the drill
(thank goodness for magnetic bits that hold the screw)
I started with the bathroom door
and accidently found the solution to my problem:


the bath rug is squishy
and soft
and can be folded to raise the door
and easily pulls out from underneath when the hinges are attached
voila! mission accomplished with minimal frustration
tonight I installed doorknobs and whatever those plates are that go on the jamb
tomorrow I have a little sanding to do where two doors rub
but by tomorrow night,
the job will be completed
it will be a long time before I look closely at the condition of the doors or knobs

exterior doors and frames are next 
I won't be taking them down,
1.they are way too heavy for me to handle on my own
2. I don't want to leave my home open 
I bought the paint for that project today  but decided it's an adventure for another week

Comments

Popular Posts