how did you miss that? 196/366

I have been accused of being critical 
or extremely picky
when in reality I simply have the gift 
or curse, depending on your perception,
of noticing little things that others miss

for example, when our family travels as a group
and we have multiple rooms in a motel or hotel
it is not unusual for me to see/find a hair that doesn't belong to any of us
how do I know it isn't one of ours?
I see it when I pull down the covers
or go into the bathroom before anyone else in our group
I can't sleep in a bed with someone else's hair in it
or feel good about showering where a stranger has left something behind
it makes me shudder to think about it

sometimes my gift opens my eyes to see presents while I am walking
like coins on asphalt
or a lone flower in a sea of grass 
the coins remind me that "In God I trust"
and the flower-to grow where He has put me, even if I am the only one of my kind
they are "small things" that make me pause
and they bring big doses of thanksgiving and praise to my soul


so imagine my surprise when I opened my refrigerator door the other day,
which I have had for several years,
and saw something new that actually has been there the whole time
the film meant to protect the light only in transit was still there
I'm glad it's just a light, otherwise it could sue me for the overtime it's worked



when things like the film going unseen for years come to my attention
it makes me stop
and ask
"What else in life, especially spiritually, have I been blind to?"
and I begin to pray in earnest:

"that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to (me) you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him. I pray that the eyes of (my) your heart may be enlightened, so that (I) you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places" 
 from Ephesians 1:17-20

recently He showed me that a negative situation I've begrudgingly endured for 2 years
and blamed on someone else
is actually my responsibility to take control of
ouch, that hurt
but it is empowering 
it's difficult and humbling but wonderful, 
all at the same time
when I allow Him to open the eyes of my heart,
to show me things that are out of place 

Comments

Popular Posts