goodbye Sam 205/366

Sam died sometime between 2 and 8 AM July 23. I didn't have to make the dreaded call. 
I also didn't face this morning alone. Even though my children don't live close, they were all praying along with other family and many of you. Beth reminded us of all the dates we had prayed him through and Sarah surprised me by arriving at my door at midnight. 
I think if my kids had their choice, I would've had a house full of them. 

Ivy and Lady aren't quite sure what to do with themselves. Their behavior yesterday was very subdued. Today they are grieving. The size of my backyard hasn't changed since yesterday, but without Sam it feels a whole lot bigger.

This morning while Sarah and I sat on the porch talking and waiting for Jonathan we saw a pair of cardinals flying near the Redbud tree which is the anchor of my memory garden. She spotted a hummingbird feeding from the honeysuckle that came from Bill's Grandma Benedick's house. My birthday card from Deborah, mailed May 12, arrived from Siberia today. Small, extraordinary, unexpected gifts at just the right time to help us focus on the beauty of life in the midst of sorrow. Reminders that those two things can coincide. 

















Jonathan arrived about 9:30. He wrapped Sam up and carefully placed him in the bed of his truck. He didn't want Sarah and I to have to lift him. He didn't want us to drive 35 minutes to his house with Sam in the trunk of my car. We shared memories, even smiles and laughter before he had to leave. Sam is already buried next to one of their cats.

My out of town friends came for a visit along with Jess, Addi, Benjamin and Ezekiel this afternoon not long after Sarah had to head home. I've had friends and family check on me. Right now I am on the porch swing enjoying a thunderstorm with thunder strong enough that I can feel the vibrations of it when it roars. 

I've prayed, I've worked, I've rested. I've cried. I've laughed. I've reminisced. 
Daddy Bondurant, Bill's dad, went home on this date in 2009. It's been a hard day to be sure, but it is a day that has been sprinkled with good too. Thank you, thank you, thank you for praying for me and for my family through so many different things. Life and death would be much more difficult to bear without your love and support.

Comments

  1. So sorry about Sam 😢. Today is my mom's birthday. She would have been 104. Drove up to the cemetery and took some gladiolus to leave. I used to by her a bunch every Friday while I lived at home and was working Summer construction on break from college. Despite our problems, I never stopped loving Mom and Dad. Yesterday was their wedding anniversary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to share

Popular Posts