party time, all the time


Bill's favorite holiday was Thanksgiving
but Christmas was the one he counted down
so it was no surprise when I woke this morning that I "heard" him saying,
with joy in his voice and a smile on his face
only four more months until Christmas

as I have gone through the early part of today I have thought about
what living life with him was like
when the kids were little
their growing up years
their weddings
them making us grandparents
trips to Ohio to visit family after we moved to Grayson
the handful of times we went away, just the two of us
our last vacation together and the next one we were planning 
the travel we were looking forward to beginning

I have also thought about living life without him for the last two years
adjustments that have been necessary
things I have been able to leave the same
old friends, deepened relationships
traditions that have been altered
new grandbabies I have held
new traditions the kids and I have committed to establishing

there is nothing wrong with visiting the past
but it is also not where living is
so, I turn my attention forward,
knowing all the while that marking the months til Christmas
has been ingrained in us
it is part of our family's DNA
if I don't mention it, one of the kids will

however, Christmas isn't something we dwell on
what we do focus on,
what we are much more aware of
and are keenly intentional about
is celebrating the privilege of being together
taking advantage of any and every opportunity to gather
Labor Day is coming up
Deborah and David are flying out the day after
everyone in our family who is free is coming home
some will be here a few days
some can be here only a few hours

regardless of how long we are "all" together
we will cherish, we will be thankful, we will celebrate 
as Andrew says, "Party time, all the time at the Bondurant's"
some things never change
I hope this is one of them

"Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
for His steadfast love endures forever!
...Out of my distress I called on the Lord; 
the Lord answered me and set me free.
...The Lord is my strength and my song;
He has become my salvation.
...I shall  not die, but I shall live,
and recount the deeds of the Lord.
...This is the day that the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.
...The Lord is God, 
and He has made His light to shine upon us.
...You are my God, and I will give thanks to You;
You are my God; I will extol You.
Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
for His steadfast love endures forever!"
portions of Psalm 118

Comments

Popular Posts