"Mental toughness, Donnette's pride"

If you are from Grayson and have anything to do with sports, the phrase "Mental Toughness, Raider Pride" will mean something to you. I sure heard it often enough when my kids were involved at East Carter High School. I never investigated to discover the root of the saying, I just heard it repeated over and over and over again. That "mantra" is the basis for this post.

Today, my walk was much more an exercise of mental toughness than it was any other work out. You know those days where the cloud cover is so heavy and dark it looks like the sun is about to go down, but it isn't anywhere close to sunset? Well, it has looked like there here all day long. 

There has been non stop precipitation of some kind for more than 24 hours now and the temperature has hovered between 32-36(ish) since yesterday morning. Today the rain has contributed to a wet cold that seeps down into your bones. Not exactly the kind of weather that screams "take a walk!". 

I have gotten in at least 30 minutes outside, walking everyday, since January 1, 2021. And not all of those days have been pleasant but even in yesterday's wintry mix there was some sunshine early on! Today has been just plain miserable and making myself walk-even when I didn't want to, when my desires, wants and feelings would have led me to curl up under a blanket on the couch with a bowl of snacks and non stop warm beverages, was as much a matter of pride in keeping my streak going as it was exercising mental toughness-proving to myself I can do hard things. I also realized as I walked today that I am, for the first time, wholly committed to doing this for myself, not for Bill or my kids or anyone else.

We all have these kinds of struggles and I share this post today, not to get accolades or any pats on the back for doing a hard thing, but to encourage you, my friends, to take the next hard step you need to take. I know that choosing to walk today will spill over and influence my decisions to do other hard things tomorrow and in the days to come. I also know, from experience, choosing not to walk would add to my stockpile of regret and excuses for not doing what I need to do simply because I don't wanna.

Oops! I just remembered, I forgot to put a sticker on my calendar! But before I go do that I want to say "I'm cheering you on friend! Exercise your mental toughness-do what you need to do to accomplish your hard thing! If I can do it, as undisciplined as I have been over the years, so can you. It is never too late to begin. I know you can do it, whatever it is. Lace up your shoes. Make a phone call. Write a note. Send a text or message or card. Forgive. Give. Pray. whatever it is, do it. Success is simply making one choice to follow through, taking one step at a time, celebrating each right choice, and repeating that pattern. Get yourself and a calendar and stickers if it will help!



Comments

Popular Posts