Standing on the Promises


I got a text yesterday morning while I was walking before heading to Lexington to spend the day with Elizabeth and Sarah. The kind of text that threatens to suck the air out of your lungs. The kind that makes you glad you cleaned the house and did all of the laundry the day before. The kind that makes you stop at the gas station on your way out of town and fill up your tank, even though it is half full, just so you know if you have to take a drive you won't have to stop later. 



I walked around the back of the car to get to the pump. And there, on the ground, was a penny. I didn't hesitate, I pulled my phone out of my pocket, took a picture of it, then bent over, picked it up and put it in my car where I could see it while I drove- a reminder "In God we trust."

When I left church today I felt the urge to stop and top off the tank again. Things are stable, but, just in case. I opened the door and there, at my feet was another penny. This time there were people at the pump next to me whom I had kind of made eye contact with. And my phone was in the car. To pick the penny up was one thing, to open the door, grab my phone and take a picture would definitely draw attention to what I was about to do. I did it anyway. I needed the picture, I needed that coin, more than I needed those strangers not think I was weird. 

There is one thing I hold on to when life seems crazy, chaotic, out of control. When the "unknown" screams in my ear and tries to usurp my attention and the "what if's" threaten to suck the energy and joy from my life. "In God I trust." 

I stood in church this morning, tears streaming down my face, snot gathering in my mask as this hymn was played. It's one of my favorites and was so very appropriate today when standing on anything else would have led to a certain fall.


I don't need to understand what is going on. I do not need to have all of the answers to my questions. Shoot, I don't need to have any answers to my questions to know, with complete certainty I can trust the One who has always been faithful and true. In God I trust. Why? Because He has proven Himself trustworthy, time and time again. I will always stand on the promises of God.

Comments

Popular Posts